Monday, March 2, 2015

Identifying cumulus, cirrus, stratus clouds. Clouds give us protection and guidance.

I never thought my preschool children could learn the scientific names of clouds, but the Montessori method has done it again! Annieli prepared for our weather month activities in her bin for our Montessori Bin Exchange. I set it all up, and my kids did not really care to pick it up.

They did like this fine motor activity. Holding a dropper helps practice the correct hold for a pencil.

This fun activity is done from left to right to prepare for reading, and top to bottom. I demonstrated a bit, and Blueberries really got into it.



But, one day I stood by the window and asked Puma Tigger "Hey, look what do you think is going on in the sky?"  We had the three part cards on the clouds right there, so I then said: "look which one of these pictures is a match to our sky today?" we then pulled out the laminated guide to the sky from national geographic, and read about stratus clouds.

Puma Tiger had some idea because she had watched "Rainy Weather" from Rachel and the TreeSchoolers. She loves it! And this is the best learning videos out there. You can find them at the website of Two Little Hand Productions.  I loved these videos so much, I lent them to the Weather bin for other kids to enjoy.

But as we started that day, I myself did not know a thing about clouds as we were going. But we had all the materials right there thanks to Anniele's work. So we learned and discovered together! And this is what we learned.

We ended up learning a lot about the clouds. There are basically three kinds: cirrus, stratus, and cumulus. The rest are combinations of these.

We looked out and saw this. What type of clouds are these? STReachty clouds, that is STRatus, the kind that are a huge stretchy stretch of low clouds, the kind that give us precipitation. Memory aid: stratus starts with STR just like stretchy.


When the clouds acCUMULate they are CUMULUS.


 If they aCUMUlate and also STReach out, they are STRatus CUMULus, like in the following picture.

'

Or this one. Stratus cumulus look like rows of puffy clouds that stretch out in the sky.  Puffy clouds give the "cumulus" and the strechy length give the "stratus" part of the name, hence stratus cumulus. This one is a more impressive example:



When it is puffy, but it seems to go up in a castle-like form, it's called Nimbus.

We remember "cirrus" clouds because it sounds like "zero," zero chances for rain, because the clouds are so high, so wispy and light, not heavy, like a zero that carries nothing.  They tell us we will have nice warm weather, perfect for flying a kyte. 



The Provo LDS temple architecture is inspired in the Biblical story of Jeahova guiding and providing protection for his people with a cloud. A pillar of fire by night, and a cloud for shade and guidance by day. I honestly believe that through the power of the Creator our family relationships can be good, bright and lovely for the duration of our lives, and also that they can last beyond this life.  I love looking at the sky, at clouds, at the starts, and contemplate in amazed wonder the beauties of nature and the miracle of life. Nature awakens awe in my soul, and it inspires me. I believe the Almighty Creator has the ability to guide me individually, and each of the members of my family individually, so that we can find Him and each other during, and after, this life. He can guide us, just like He guided the Israelites on the cloud.

We love the temple. Whenever we drive past it we sing "I love to see the temple." Sometimes I forget, but my kids remember! I started this tradition after my mother, who would do this when I was a little girl. I want my children to know that with God our family can be strong and it can last. Click on the image to listen to a Children's choir sing this beautiful song.  A picture of each child in front of the temple hangs in their room, as counseled by president Monson. I didn't think my kids noticed or cared for the picture, because they never mentioned it. But one day one picture frame fell off the wall and I took it away. That very night my Blueberries noticed and asked "mami, donde estoy?"  "Mom, where am I?" I didn't quite understand, so I asked her what she meant and she said: "mira, ya no esta mi foto!"  "Look, my picture is missing."  So they do notice!  I am glad they like to see themselves with the temple.  

 I love to See the Temple by Primary Choir

 The base of the building looks like a nice puffy cumulus cloud, don't you think?  It was inspired on one after all. 

Click on this cloud to watch the video of the Israelites and how Jesus guided them with a cloud.






















1 comment:

  1. Buen trabajando identificando las nubes! Quizas pueden avisar a papi y mami cuando sera un buen dia para ir al parque basado en como estan las nubes (y la temperatura) :) Con amor, Papi.

    ReplyDelete